Whether you're a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) or a DevOps Engineer, Terraform is probably one of your favorite tools. Enterprise Reliability Management (ERM) best practices rely on incident response and retrospective workflows, that conform to Standards of Operations (SoPs) and change management control. Engineering organizations seeking a high level governance and control can now download and use the Blameless Terraform Provider to enforce critical configuration guardrails for incident workflow management in Blameless.
Blameless Terraform Provider provides the expanded flexibility to programmatically configure and update the following Blameless resources:
- Blameless organization settings
- Blameless severities and roles
- Blameless incident types, including Slack functionalities, task checklists and retrospectives.
Engineering organizations that use Blameless can now leverage the power of Terraform to reliably and securely track configuration changes (version control), track who applied the changes and when (auditing) and automate Blameless configuration changes along with their existing CI/CD workflows.
Managing incident types settings using Terraform
With the Blameless Terraform provider, managing incident types settings is easier than ever. While you can explicitly configure incident type settings on a per severity basis, you can also decide to configure the incident type settings once and apply the same settings to multiple severities. All thanks to the flexibility of the Terraform modular resource definition architecture.
Blameless Terraform provider opens the door for engineering operations leaders to do things like:
- Create a new incident type from an existing template (check Blameless resource templates available on Github)
- Update a retrospective analysis template across multiple incident types
- Ensure that incident channels created in Slack are made private for security sensitive incident workflows
- Temporarily deactivate or reactivate incident types, or deprecate an incident type entirely all by using Terraform.
How to get started
- Make sure you are up to date with the latest Terraform version
- Download the Blameless Terraform provider from the Terraform registry
- Download and customize the Blameless resource templates from our public repository: https://github.com/blamelesshq/terraform-provider-blameless/tree/main/modules
Initialize, plan, apply, and off you go!!