Blameless is excited to announce a new source for monitoring data for your SLIs and SLOs. Prometheus is an open source monitoring and alerting solution which is highly customizable.
How Prometheus integrates with SLOs
As a leading provider of monitoring, Prometheus is a preferred integration for Blameless’ SLO Manager. The SLO Manager is a new service added to the Blameless platform. This service helps SRE and engineering teams proactively make data-driven decisions about reliability efforts.
With Blameless’ SLO Manager, teams can create distinct user journeys that correspond to their services. Teams will use these user journeys to craft SLIs, or service level indicators. These SLIs pull metrics from Prometheus and display the services performance by using the calculation of good events/valid events for a particular criteria.
The integration with Prometheus allows teams to monitor how they are performing against their service level objectives (SLO) on any metrics captured in their Prometheus monitoring system. Users journeys are created in Blameless to monitor SLOs against multiple SLIs mapped to the appropriate Prometheus metrics, serving as a signal for when to create an incident within Blameless based on the depleted error budget.
Here’s how teams can integrate Prometheus and Blameless.
Adding Prometheus to your Blameless account
- Go to the Blameless web application Settings page.
- Copy and paste the saved values in the Prometheus integration settings page.
- Click on the “Enable Prometheus” slider.
- Click “Save.”
Testing the Integration
To test the integration, you need to have at least one service created within the Service Registry.
- Select the SLO Manager portal icon (target) on the Blameless web application navigation menu.
- Create and define a user journey in the Blameless web application which starts a setup wizard
- Click “Next” button and click the “Create a new SLI” button
- Define the SLI name and description (optional)
- Click on the Latency option (SLI type)
- Click on the “Prometheus” button under the Select Data Source label to choose Datadog as the datasource.
- Copy and paste the Prometheus Latency metric from into the Blameless SLO Latency.
- Complete the steps to create the SLO and click “Save.”
To learn more about how to integrate with Datadog, see this link here. And if you want to learn more about Blameless SLOs, check out this blog post.