Blameless is excited to announce a new source for monitoring data for your SLIs and SLOs. Pingdom is a leading monitoring platform that allows users to monitor synthetically and with real user data both applications and infrastructure.
How Pingdom integrates with SLOs
As a leading provider of monitoring, Pingdom is a preferred integration for Blameless’ SLO Manager. The SLO Manager is a new service added to the Blameless platform. This service helps SRE and engineering teams proactively make data-driven decisions about reliability efforts.
With Blameless’ SLO Manager, teams can create distinct user journeys that correspond to their services. Teams will use these user journeys to craft SLIs, or service level indicators. These SLIs pull metrics from Pingdom and display the services performance by using the calculation of good events/valid events for a particular criteria.
The integration with Pingdom allows teams to monitor how they are performing against their service level objectives (SLO) on any metrics captured in their Pingdom monitoring system. Users journeys are created in Blameless to monitor SLOs against multiple SLIs mapped to the appropriate Pingdom metrics, serving as a signal for when to create an incident within Blameless based on the depleted error budget.
Here’s how teams can integrate Pingdom and Blameless.
Adding Pingdom to your Blameless account
Start by launching the Blameless application.
- Select the Settings icon.
- Select the Integration option.
- Select the Metrics Suboption.
- Click on the Pingdom “Manage” button.
Fetch the Pingdom API Token
- Follow the instructions located in the Pingdom link here. You will need to copy the Token from the Pingdom site to the Blameless / Pingdom Integration pane.
- Go to Blameless web application settings window, paste the saved values into the Pingdom integration settings pane, and click on the “Enable Pingdom” slider.
- Click the “Save” button.
Testing your Pingdom integration
- Select the SLO Manager portal icon (target) on the Blameless web application navigation menu.
- Create and define a user journey in the Blameless web application which starts a setup wizard
- Click “Next” button and click the “Create a new SLI” button
- Define the SLI name and description (optional)
- Click on the Latency option (SLI type)
- Click on the “Pingdom” button under the Select Data Source label to choose Datadog as the datasource.
- Copy and paste the Pingdom Latency metric from into the Blameless SLO Latency.
- Complete the steps to create the SLO and click “Save.”
To learn more about how to integrate with Pingdom, see this link here. And if you want to learn more about Blameless SLOs, check out this blog post.