Blameless is excited to announce a new source for monitoring data for your SLIs and SLOs. New Relic is an observability platform that helps engineers instrument, analyze, troubleshoot, and optimize their entire software stack.
How New Relic integrates with SLOs
As a leading provider of monitoring, New Relic is a preferred integration for Blameless’ SLO Manager. The SLO Manager is a new service added to the Blameless platform. This service helps SRE and engineering teams proactively make data-driven decisions about reliability efforts.
With Blameless’ SLO Manager, teams can create distinct user journeys that correspond to their services. Teams will use these user journeys to craft SLIs, or service level indicators. These SLIs pull metrics from New Relic and display the services performance by using the calculation of good events/valid events for a particular criteria.
The integration with New Relic allows teams to monitor how they are performing against their service level objectives (SLO) on any metrics captured in their New Relic monitoring system. Users journeys are created in Blameless to monitor SLOs against multiple SLIs mapped to the appropriate New Relic metrics, serving as a signal for when to create an incident within Blameless based on the depleted error budget.
Here’s how teams can integrate New Relic and Blameless.
Adding New Relic to your Blameless account
First, you need to create and copy an API token. Refer to the New Relic site for more information regarding their APIs.
Create the Blameless API Client token
- Select "Account Settings" in the upper right corner of the New Relic Home Page. A drop-down option list appears.
- Select "API Keys" under the Integrations section on the left nav bar.
- Click on the "Create REST API key.”
- Click on "Show" and copy the REST API key provided.
Copy the Blameless API Client token
- Open or switch windows to the Blameless application.
- Select the Settings (gear) icon.
- Select the "New Relic" app from the Integration list.
- Select the "Enable New Relic" slider to activate it.
- Scroll down to the New Relic API token field.
- Paste the copied New Relic API key in the text field.
Add and Configure the SLI
- Select the Blameless SLO Manager (target) icon on the left nav menu.
- Select the Service Registry option under the SRE Menu.
- Select "Create a new Service" from the top right corner button.
- Enter a Service name.
- Enter the Service description.
- Navigate to the newly created Service.
- Click the "Define SLI button" in the SLIS tab.
- Enter the name of the SLI and provide an optional SLI definition.
- Select "Latency" for the SLI.
- Select the New Relic Logo (this sets the data source).
- Select the application from the New Relic Application drop-down.
- Wait for the metric paths to populate. Once it is no longer greyed out, click into the path field and start typing your Metric Path link. There will be an autocomplete that you will need to select from.
- Select a Metric value.
- Click "Save" and once successful, a message will appear and the modal will close.
Testing your New Relic integration
To test and confirm the integration, you need to have at least one service created within the Service Registry (instructions on how to appear in the previous section).
- Select the SLO Manager portal icon (target) on the Blameless web application navigation menu.
- Create and define a user journey in the Blameless web application which starts a setup wizard
- Click “Next” button and click the “Create a new SLI” button
- Define the SLI name and description (optional)
- Click on the Latency option (SLI type)
- Click on the “New Relic” button under the Select Data Source label to choose Datadog as the datasource.
- Copy and paste the New Relic Latency metric from into the Blameless SLO Latency.
- Complete the steps to create the SLO and click “Save.”
To learn more about how to integrate with New Relic, see this link here. And if you want to learn more about Blameless SLOs, check out this blog post.